STRAW stands for “Security Technology Active Watch”. STRAW is a support action under the Security Research theme that aims at providing a European Service of Technology Watch on Security Technologies. The concept of STRAW is to bring together the defense and security research industry by a neutral coordination to ensure the awareness of underpinning technologies that make possible the implementation of civil security applications. There were two initiatives on technology taxonomy within EU, one from the industry and another from military community. STRAW's objective was to harmonise both under the umbrella of an European Technology Watch in order to advise public authorities, EU security research community and public at large on emerging technologies. STRAW vision was to support research activities and policies under Security theme supported by the following objectives:
- Collection of data from the different entry points, managing the quality, relevance, reliability, sensitiveness and innovativeness of the data provided on available technologies. The main output was to create a network of contact points responsible for managing data entries. To be achieved under WP1 Information Collection.
- Combination of the different entries using a “Taxonomy Mix” Approach. To be achieved under WP2-Processing.
- Performing of a segmentation of information receivers and customise the right information for each segment in order to forecast the likely security technology information to be used in the relevant areas. WP3-Packaging
- Deliver the information using the most efficient channels in order that the users could efficiently and effectively meet the challenges resulting from global technological changes. Main output was a web based IT system with a TW list and interface for data entry user requirements. WP4 Delivery.
- Creating a panel of security experts to monitor the network implementation and advise the EC, MS …etc. WP5 STRAW Panel
► European Organisation for Security
► Fondazione Rosseli
► Instituto Nacional de Tecnica Aerospacial
► Asociacion de Empresas de Electronica,
Tecnologias de la Informacion y Telecomunicaciones de Espana
► Stiftelsen Sintef
► Elsag Datamat SpA